Medical Abandonment or Negligence Lawsuit Claims Lawyer
Medical abandonment is when a doctor refuses to continue caring for or treating a patient, without performing the necessary steps to obtain permission from the patient. Such intentional abandonment of care, without due process, is wrong. Physicians can be held responsible for any injuries you incur due to their abandonment in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
According to Georgia law, the following steps must be followed to secure your permission and turn over care to another competent physician before your doctor can step away and discontinue care:
- Provide a written notice to the patient of the intent to surrender care responsibilities
- Provide the patient with a brief explanation for terminating the relationship
- Provide treatment for a reasonable period of time after termination of relationship, to allow the patient to secure care from another physician
- Provide recommendations to help the patient locate another physician of like specialty
- Offer to transfer records to a newly-designated physician upon signed patient authorization
Any failure to reasonably follow these steps may be grounds for a medical abandonment lawsuit, through which the patient may be eligible to receive compensation for their losses. This includes any medical treatment made necessary by injuries incurred by the abandonment.
Stockbridge Medical Abandonment Malpractice Cases
Any legal claims involving negligence, neglect and the medical community can quickly become complex. Physicians and insurance companies have professional lawyers who protect their reputation and assets. If you or someone you love are a victim of medical abandonment or neglect, you need the experienced legal guidance and representation of personal injury attorney Darrell T. Farr in Stockbridge.
Darrell Farr has almost 30 years of experience practicing personal injury law and representing the rights of clients from Henry County and all across Georgia. You can trust his compassion and knowledge to work in your favor as he pursues your claim. Call or message him online today for a confidential consultation.